Friday, December 14, 2007

Our Mary

But Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down, [and looked] into the sepulchre,
And seeth two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain.
And they say unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? She saith unto them, Because they have taken away my Lord,
and I know not where they have laid him.

And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus.
Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener,
saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away.
Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master
.


When I think of Mary I am reminded of these scriptures that I have always thought parallels “our Mary”. In all our lives we all at some point can relate to the story ….to have so much hope … to believe in something so strongly and depend on someone so totally. Only to have your hopes dashed by some non-linear event, that really, you never even thought of. Not only did Jesus not setup His kingdom on earth but He was crucified and killed and hung from a tree. All her hopes were gone. Mary lost her Jesus and even the Angels couldn’t comfort her, she needed to find Jesus, himself. She was lost and distraught and didn’t even recognize her Savior standing right in front of her. I know I have been in the same spot a few times in the past, not knowing that glory, hope and Heaven await us on the other side.

Mary always made you feel like you were her favorite friend and honestly I think we all were her best friends. She stayed young in spite of what challenges were thrown her way. You and I know the non-linear events she had to deal with. In her life she hung onto her Jesus and wouldn’t let Him go and right now she is doing that quite literally. She was a joy to be with and we will always cherish her friendship.
I remember the time we all spent up at Mammoth and the fun we had, and without going into details, who can forget the Keith swimming trunks incident (She was mortified … we were hysterical).
We remember the fellowship we enjoyed at her home and also making sure we grabbed a seat by her at church. Spending time with her was a pleasure because we really enjoyed her company. She was incredibly funny and her laughter filled the room.

I am glad I got to spend some time with her this past March and pray with her. She was still close to Jesus, hanging on. Thanks Mary for showing me how to hang on and not let go.

I won’t say Goodbye, just

see ya later

No comments: